Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Jeff Cup and moving on.

Week up to Jeff Cup:
I had my biggest block of training leading up to Vint Hill which i doubled up at and then did my best the following day at the inaugural edition of The Battle of Bull Run Mountain, but it took about 40 miles to get the legs really working.

So the week leading up to the Jeff Cup naturally would be a rest week having just finished a huge load on the legs. I thought this would be great for my body and therefor get me across the line at Jeff Cup. But the two times (wednesday and saturday) that i tried to get my legs to move a little bit of intensity, they said a simple "no". This did not bode well for my goals at Jeff Cup:

Bronze-5 laps
Silver-6 laps
Gold-7 laps
Above and Beyond-top 20

Jeff Cup:
Everyone knows about the diabolical "neutral roll out". I also suffered a minor casualty during this time, because some a-hole in front of me can't point out a pot hole that he avoids a split second before i go straight into it. So 1 of 2 bottles were claimed by the asphalt or lack there of, and i was thirsty.

I had been struggling with blocks of wood for legs, when on the 2nd lap i noticed my wheel was wobbling and i heard the sound of a spoke not in it's proper place. I'd be lying if i didn't say the descents were freaking me out a little...not sure why. But, if i already wasn't freaked out enough, now my front wheel was wobbling. I got dropped and caught back on a couple times before i sat up and watched the field at Jeff Cup roll away for the 2nd year in a row. A little honk/wave from the type 1 van acknowledging my undying (now dead) effort to hang on and the shame started to sink in.

Gonzo, Rob (NCVC), and i rode a bit longer getting in some good miles. Then sat in the feed zone to watch the end.

2 things i did that were positive:
1.I took a bottle on the 2nd lap, a bit silly but i was chugging my first bottle and i wasn't going to get dropped because of water. I've never taken a hand up, so i felt proud. I promptly returned that bottle full to the same place that i had retrieved it from on the ensuing lap.
2.I provided assistance to John Cutler who was suffering from hypothermia. That was quite frightening, but everything turned out ok and he was fine after some real medical help.

Moving On:
So i felt like poo mentally and physically after the race. Yesterday was one of the worst days i've had in a very long time. Thankfully todays workout went just as it should and i have learned one more thing about my body and how it works in regards to workouts and recovery.

Tonight i'll be in section 406 watching the caps play...

No comments:

Post a Comment